Saturday 24 March 2012

How to install Oracle 11g Express Edition (XE) to Ubuntu 11.10

There is a magnificent guide which shows how to install oracle xe to ubuntu I would like to share it helped me a lot.

https://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=2301639

WARNING!!!!,

Installing Oracle XE to Ubuntu is literally pain in the butt. I got many errors eventhough I used that guide up there. Therefore I would like to share that what I needed to do after I installed oracle xe.

1. If you get an error like "initXE.ora has not been found". DON NOT rename

{oracle home for me it is /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/xe}/product/dbs/init.ora to initXE.ora

if you see only init.ora under this path that means you haven't created your XE database yet. So it is simple

run this shell script

/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/xe/bin/createdb.sh

this will take 5-10 minutes to recreate a new database.

2. if you get an error when you try to start sqlplus which says something about "libaio.so.1"  I don't remember either the name of the file or the problem, but problem stems from 32bit-64bit ubuntu library conflict. therefore you should install the 64 bit version of this library with

sudo apt-get install libaio1

Note: when oracle is installed to Ubuntu, it creates a new user account which is "oracle", and the password of this account is the password you entered when you run the /etc/init.d/oracle-xe configure. sqlplus is created by this account and only visible for this user. To use sqlplus you can log in with this user via the command line with

su - oracle

command.

Cheers.

1 comment:

Dave Paroulek said...

I was running into the "could not open parameter" issue. Thanks so much for the post.